This entry holds miscellaneous photos that do not fall into any specific activity, but which I liked and thought you would enjoy.
Yes, we really did pack all that stuff into that teeny little vehicle!
Tabitha, William's sister, drove with us. On the way we traversed over a horrible road with more potholes that pavement. The dirt and dust forced us to cover head and face. Tabitha pulled her scarf down for this photo...we think she is beautiful.
Denise managed to pull her scarf over nose and mouth to keep the worst of the dust and dirt away. No, we could not close the windows - that would trap the dirt inside (that would invariably come in through cracks in the door frames, as well as cause us to suffocate (okay, only a slight exaggeration!)
I was clearly not trying out for Ms America here! But the scarf and bandana did manage to keep the worst of the dirt out of my hair and nose and mouth!
Potholes were not the only obstacles on the road to Narok (that is the town where the worst of the bumpy, dusty, dirty road ended)...we also encountered cows crossing to better grazing land.
Believe me when I say that this picture DOES NOT even come close to showing the bumpy, dusty, dirty road...in fact the paved part looks pretty good here - in reality it was so bad that we followed that red truck in traversing the bulk of it on the dirt shoulder...at times our vehicle tipped so dramatically I thought we would fall over - and in fact all the articles in the back shifted so that much of our cargo ended up in Tabitha's lap! Sorry!
Following is a random selection of photos taken of kids...some were taken during Social Day (see separate blog entry for the full story), some were taken on the family compound and others were taken...wherever!
This first was taken by a girl who was taken with my camera...in fact the children love the camera - I was swarmed often, but was always able to keep control...although my camera screen was pretty smudged at the end of this particular day!
I love this photo of two young girls embracing eachother as they watch the 'mamas' playing net ball - this was also at Social Day.
I thought this was such a sweet picture...
This photo I like because you see our collection of shoes on the front stoop. Oh - and the bucket airing out on the side of the house...
This is Emmanuel and Nicholas...
This little girl came to visit and rested a few moments at our front door as she watched the others take off.
They love the camera!
Jared about to have his second driving lesson. He washed the car almost every day!
Piling back into the vehicle after a memorable trip to Homa Bay...in the forefront is Pastor Paul, one of William's brothers and Pastor Margaret, from Nairobit Pentacostal Church.
Here is the team I was with for the door-to-door evangelism. L to R are Isaac, two local people, Pastor Paul, Elizabeth and Daniel.
One mode of transportation is on bicycles - these men make a living carrying people and packages everywhere - they are amazing...here is a mother hauling her little boy onto the cycle. I have also seen women carrying infants on the back of these bikes.
We spent a day in Kisumu getting my visa extended and decided to visit Lake Victoria - we were somewhat surprised by all the of the vehicles getting a bath in the lake!
Here is Denise all ready to go for her bath - although she is not going as far as Lake Victoria...only making a trek up the hill to the bath house.
I was so impressed with Tishona's clothes washing technique that I just had to snap this shot! Mom and Dad Smith, you can be proud of your daughter!
Be sure to check back soooon for two or three more entries about the ministry we did in the schools as well as our two community events.
I promise to complete them tomorrow!




No comments:
Post a Comment