"Whom shall I send, and who will go for Us?" Then I said, "Here am I! Send me."
Isaiah 6:8

Saturday, December 6, 2008

Saturday visitors!

Imagine my delight when I received an sms from Nancy, my househelp, telling me that she is 'around' with her 'baby' Shantel! Of course, I was stuck in traffic...but they waited for me.

Once I discovered two weeks ago that Nancy had a 'girl' I asked for a photo, which she left at my home last week...then surprised me today with the real girl! She will turn 5 on the 15th of this month and as luck would have it, I had a gift for her...a coloring book and crayons. She has agreed to color a picture for me soon. But - she is asking that I 'mark' it with a red pen...she wants me to grade her work! Oh, the pressure is on...

As you can see Shantel is a doll, and quite shy. She knows English well, but was a bit too shy to talk. Her mom says she has been asking to visit the Mzungu lady, and will certainly tell her family and friends all about the visit!
I showed them a picture of my 'girl' (who is probably older even than Nancy!)...and it was fun to share "mother to mother"...below you see Nancy with her baby (mtoto) and I could tell that Nancy is so proud of her!
By the way, I will be out of town for the next week. Please pray for me as I travel to Tanzania to spend a week with friends I met back in May when I first arrived here in Africa. Pastor William and his wife Martha are almost as excited as I am to visit together and catch up on all that has happened since we saw each other last!

I hope to have internet access so that we can stay in touch, but probably will not be updating my blog while I am gone. However, I plan to take lots of pictures and will share with you about my trip after I return to Kenya on the 15th of December.

No comments: