"Whom shall I send, and who will go for Us?" Then I said, "Here am I! Send me."
Isaiah 6:8

Monday, September 14, 2009

Our first Sunday...an adventure!

Our first Sunday! We decided to accompany Rhonda to a remote Maasai church where Pastor Josphat was being commissioned. Last year he attended a literacy class sponsored by Starfish Charities (Rhonda's ministry). It was there that he learned enough English to finish seminary. That made the service even more special!

On the way, we dodged potholes in the dirt road as well as cows and goats!
...oh and a wagon filled with hay. He actually pulled aside for us to pass!
One of the Maasai churches, on the way...
Typical Maasai home, made of mud and cow dung...stays cool in the heat and warm in the cold.
Newer Maasai home, much sought after though I am not sure why! Made of tin sheeting it is hot in the heat and cold in the cold weather! But it is newer so it must be better.
Pastor John - the reason we found the church! We had picked him up in a nearby town and he had directed us along the invisible (to us at least) paths leading to the church.
Here follows a series of photos walking to the church after the long, bumpy ride. See the building hiding on the horizon - next to the tree? The nephew of Josphat met us at the car to accompany us...


Greeting the church members...
This is Rhonda with her namesake Baby Rhoda...actually the baby's name is Rhonda but for some reason Kenyan's find the name difficult and usually call her Rhoda!
...and with the baby's grandmother, Peninah, who is the mother of Pastor Josphat.
Ellis, who gave one of the sermons. After 4 hours the service still was not over, and there was to be food afterward! We had to leave early in order to get home before dark.
The "choo" or toilet...not sure if I have a photo of the outside, but here is a peak inside...I am holding the 'door' which freely flapped in the wind...
The kitchen, with all the church ladies preparing our feast for after the service.
Interspersed throughout you will see pictures of children - there were many running, playing and dancing all day...


From the front of the church...
From the back of the church - notice the left half of the building? We found out they ran out of money for the siding so we pooled our money to help them finish the building. Actually it was kind of nice to have that side open - the breeze was wonderful!
Two things about this picture - notice Peninah next to Rhonda - can you see that her 'necklace' is 'jumping' up and down? It made the prettiest sound! Second thing - see the little boy in the center of the photo? Rhonda is trying to 'befriend' him, but he is too shy!
Here Rhonda is taking his photo...I am looking up because every time I looked at him, he looked away, which ruined Rhonda's picture...so I looked away long enough for her to snap the photo - then he was all smiles after seeing himself in her camera...
My mom...the official photographer! My camera memory was full, so Rhonda snapped this photo of her doing what she does best...surrounded by her new friends!
The young man in the dark suit is Pastor Josphat...




Traditional Maasai women...beautifully decked out!


These boys were dancing to the music outside the church...and my mom was playing with them - she would dance toward them, and they would run...and then come back for more! My camera memory was full so I could not catch the action on film...sorry!
The ladies of the church - who had spent the morning preparing food, were invited in to sing for us.











Rhonda, presenting our special offering to help complete the building.
The ladies relaxing after the service...in the shade of an acacia tree.
A couple of them followed us to the car and insisted we eat before we leave! We could hardly refuse...and it was good!

More goats on the way out...
...which was an adventure! We got lost several times and only by the grace of God (I was praying continuously) did we find our way out!

3 comments:

amandajenn said...

Cool post. I like the women's clothing....its nice to see traditional cultures still being followed today. How come there aren't any pictures of yaya?

Joanna Kelley said...

Thanks for the reminder! I added a the only photo of Yaya...Rhonda took the shot during the church service.

Lori said...

Love this day ... really feels like Africa. The shot of Alex is classic!