"Whom shall I send, and who will go for Us?" Then I said, "Here am I! Send me."
Isaiah 6:8

Wednesday, April 14, 2010

School's out!

Peninah is a friend of Rhonda's. Peninah has a son, Brian. Brian is in boarding school and the month of April is a holiday from school here in Kenya. Rather than put Brian on a bus to travel home from school, Rhonda, Peninah and I decided to make a day of it...

On the way we passed Mount Longonot, which is a dormant volcano in the Rift Valley...it was an unusually clear day and we were able to see the crater across the top!
It was sunny and hot when we arrived. Peninah found Brian and in this photo they are taking his trunk to be stored for the month. Every child keeps all personal possessions in a trunk during the school sessions.
Here they are - happy to be reunited. I loved the mural of the galaxy in the background...
...other kids waiting for parents or guardians to pick them up...
Pit stop at the market to buy gifts for Peninah's mother before our visit...
A shot of the market, with customers - and kids!
School kids returning home...
One (well actually two!) of the kids who swarmed the car. Mzungu (white people) are still a novelty almost everywhere!
Great reunion as we arrive at Peninah's home...the kids come out to greet Brian (and us) and then are put to work to carry all the provisions we brought...
...like cabbage! This is Neema...
...very nice...
...and Hannah - usually shy, she seems to have outgrown her apprehension of white folks.
Mother and son serving the guests.
As we leave Rhonda points out the windmills on the hill overlooking the family compound.
It was a fun day for all of us. I think the highlight for me was watching Brian as his cousins ran from every direction to greet him...what a homecoming!

No comments: