I snapped this photo of Denise while she was registering as an 'international' participant. She received much attention with "Kenya, Africa" on her name badge!
This conference was comprehensive and informative. Here is a list of the plenary sessions just to give you an idea of what was covered:
Why Leadership Matters, the Forgotten Ones, Church Models of Leadership in HIV, Starting Out Right, Excellence in Global Leadership, The Global PEACE Plan - Conversations with Leaders, The Power of Partnerships, The Feminization of HIV, Leadership
Here is Rick Warren, getting us started. I did not get a photo of Kay Warren, but was quite impressed with her. She has presence, heart and passion. It was at her insistence that husband Rick and ultimately their whole church became actively involved in the work of
Here are two familiar faces! We attended the plenary sessions in the sanctuary together, then split up to take advantage of the various workships being offered in separate rooms.
The other candidates did send video clips, but it was a pleasure to see and hear Hillary in person.
I rather think that this was Denise's favorite place...the resource tent! I do have to admit that it was great to see the many organizations involved in the fight against this global pandemic. I was asked recently if I felt there was an element of sensationalism at this conference. My answer was an emphatic NO. This is a very real global crisis, one in which we must all take part - in one way or another. I would invite you to pray about your own involvement in the response to this threat.
Oh - and we both 'travelled' through World Vision's "Experience"...a walk into the life of a child living in Africa and infected or affected by the HIV virus. I became Babiyre, a 14 year old twin whose step dad had died from AIDS and whose mother was infected. During my journey into this young girl's life, I was 'tested' for the virus and stamped 'positive'...
After spending close to 6 months in Kenya, I did see the effects of this disease first hand. I was impressed by this exhibit with its realistic and informative approach. I am excited that World Vision will be bringing this opportunity to my church, the Crystal Cathedral, in January!




No comments:
Post a Comment