"Whom shall I send, and who will go for Us?" Then I said, "Here am I! Send me."
Isaiah 6:8

Sunday, June 29, 2008

Good Day!

We started our day with a long walk to find a matatu that would take us to the vicinity of our church! Here is a photo from inside the matatu - the fella to the left with the cap on is the conductor - I am fascinated watching him opening/closing the door, letting passengers on and off - and 'convincing' people to get on board...this is a flimsy description, but gives you an idea anyway! Then we walked a ways to get to the church, Nairobi Pentecostal Church...which is a large church with many members......we arrived just as the second service was letting out...in the background is the sanctuary, to the left are the classrooms for Sunday School and also a regular school during the week.
Almost 200 new members were received today - they all came forward to make their confession of faith and commitment to the church. Requirements are: you must be a Christ follower, have attended the church for a year, and complete the membership class. Several of the pastors are on stage and the members are filing up to greet them...then filing out the back door to where they were serving food...the congregation followed them out, received plates, received food and went to a few tents that were set with chairs for us to sit and eat...

...two shots from inside the tents...the food was yummy! Then a few of the new members were invited up to give their testimonies and some church leaders got up to speak...that's about when we left! Actually I was getting a bit nervous about getting home...we also visited with Amani and Winnie - two friends from last year...it was much fun! Sorry I did not get their pictures...oops!
After an hour of walking to the stage (where the matatus are) and riding home (stopping many times along the way) we still had over a 1/2 hour walk to get home...on the way we passed these kids playing on the African version of a Super Slide! I LOVED super slides when I was a kid and just had to stop and snap this photo...
Every day when we get home Tabitha thanks God for bringing us home safely - I like that! So - thank You Lord that I am home and comfortable and I think I will bathe and wash my hair now! I got quite dusty on the trip home!

1 comment:

Tishona Marie said...

i'm glad that you're keeping close attention to the matatus and the conductors...don't forget our plan to operate our own matatu someday...