So, the event was to begin at 9am...we even had a printed program with each activity assigned a start time and duration...I was hopeful as I agreed to meet my friend, Jane, at the center by 9am so she could accompany me to the venue. I was fashionably late (9:30) and of course Jane had not arrived (she is, after all, Kenyan!)...below is the scene I encountered at 1/2 hour past the beginning time of the event.
Yep, they were loading chairs to be set up...

One of our workers and her kids, watching...


...and the sound system...now it is almost 10am!

When we arrived the tents were being erected and truckloads of chairs, water, sound equipment and supplies were being delivered...at 11am!
When we finally found our way in, we were greeted by face painters! It was such fun to watch as Esther, Jane's daughter, was adorned with flowers and hearts.



And then David had something resembling scorpions applied to his face...

Oh my - I love watching hula hoops! I used to be the champ, but now can't hold the thing up!

Esther and David...not sure what the thumbs up means, but many of the kids here do it for photos...she is 5 and he is 11.

Still setting up...but no worries - the kids, big and small are having fun...



My friend Robert at the keyboard...but he informed me that he will be singing not playing - you will see him in action later...




Here I am with Esther...notice the thumbs up?

Like I said...the kids are having a blast...

Just give them balloons, soccer balls, hula hoops and skipping ropes and they are happy...



Still unloading...



Soon to be a bounce castle...but the real picture is young love budding in the background.

Team from America that had spent the previous week at our boarding school - teaching the girls self-defense tactics and also holding VBS sessions.

Okay - this sort of eclipsed the soccer balls, skipping ropes and balloons!


The kid in the middle silently 'asked' for my camera, and agreed to take one shot and return the camera to me...the photo above is the shot he took...I later found out he is deaf and mute and lives with Wallace & Mary Kamau, directors of Missions of Hope.

I loved the collection of shoes gathered at the foot of the castle!

Teens are teens in every country!

Esther trying to get to her turn in the bounce castle...the line kept shifting and she kept ending up at the back of it! When it was finally her turn, I was distracted by someone and missed taking her picture...shucks!

Robert, performing, with his back up singers...

Tent full of an appreciative audience...

Sweet Esther...after bouncing in the castle she approached us in tears. Apparently her hair had come undone and she was quite upset...once I caught on to what the problem was I quickly pulled the scrunchie out of my hair and handed it to Jane. To this day Esther continues to wear it declaring that it came from "Joanna Mzungu"...

Our tent with Jane in the front row...in the yellow/green suit.

Even though by now it is very hot and past lunch time (according to the program) there is much dancing and celebration...all I can say is it's a good thing I brought almonds to snack on!

This was a celebration of our year together at Missions of Hope...so we got an update on where we started and how much we have grown. It was amazing to realize how many children and families have been impacted by this young ministry.

Pastor Wallace, husband to founder/director Mary shares a word of encouragement.

The team under shade and with water...I signaled to my friend Doug to bring me two waters - one for me and one for Jane...by that time the sun was beating down on us!

Praising God in song...

Families were introduced...starting with Wallace and Mary Kamau and their three children...

...plus their 'adopted' boy who is deaf and mute...

Doug and Jenn Kurz, whose daughter did not come, introduce Cassy who is staying with them while on leave from her job as teacher at Rift Valley Academy, as their adopted daughter.

And we got to meet the team...I had the pleasure of chatting with two of them over lunch (more like dinner as it was - finally - served at 4pm!)

Demonstration of self-defense technique...

My friend Isaac, introduced his wife of just one year - Christine.

This is Mary, our tailor - she teaches the ladies in the slums how to sew. At the end of six weeks they are given a machine and hope of a better future.

Jane introducing David and Esther...husband, Wilson, could not attend.

Samuel Mwiti, one of our social workers, loves to share the word of God.


Then began presentations...by this time Jane and I had moved to the shady tent!









It was such fun to watch as groups from our different centers shared in song and dance.
And of course, the children are precious!

Doug shares a word for the staff...

Our director, Mary, spent a few minutes in appreciation of the families of our employees. She is very aware of the sacrifice made by spouses and children of the staff...

...special recognition was given to one of our ministry teams and then to one very special employee for his hard work, cheerful demeanor and excellent attitude.

This is Maggy - without her the administration offices of Missions of Hope would surely collapse! She is always cheerful, always busy and quick to smile...as she carries out her support role.

Mary brought forward all who had marriage plans, declaring that she is never too busy to chat and counsel with employees. She urged all to 'walk in the light' with their relationships.

Finally - FOOD! Yes, I do have a food fetish...and a time fetish! Lunch was scheduled for 1pm with festivities wrapping up by 4pm...so I was a bit dismayed as the day started late which pushed lunch back to 4pm...which meant I had to leave before the end in order to travel home before dark...oh well...flexibility is a must!

I am so glad I attended this 'family' affair - it helped me to appreciate what a family we really are and especially how much God is at work in the Mathare Valley slums as He is using us to "Turn the valley of darkness into a mountain of God"
No comments:
Post a Comment