"Whom shall I send, and who will go for Us?" Then I said, "Here am I! Send me."
Isaiah 6:8

Saturday, December 11, 2010

Fun and Games

On the 10th of December (that was Friday) all the employees of Missions of Hope (MoHI) brought their families to celebrate at a great location called "The Stima Club". Much of the day was spent at the track.

In this first picture you can see that the first event was a sack race...actually the first 'event' was devotions and prayer, but I got there a bit late so missed that part :(
This venue even had a special place for the kids to play...and they loved it!

A little break in the competition for some fun entertainment...
Now for the women's 100 metre race...see the one to the left in her business suit and bare feet?
They are pushing hard!

Now for the men's 100 metre...

We had 10 teams, with 5 teams running at a time so there were actually two 100 metre races for each the women and the men.

A little spectator with his baggie of goodies. These packets were assembled for all the children and even some adults...popcorn, peanuts and cookies.

More spectators...yup, that's where I was sitting :)
Warms my heart to see them picking up trash...and there was lots!
Relay races! It cracks me up that some of the women run in skirts...


Esther and Samuel, two of my co-workers, watching the races...
Esther and me smiling at the camera...
This little guy was posing for his picture...cute, doncha think?
This is Joe, Esther's firstborn, reading the program of activities for the day...
One of the runners taking powdered glucose...I am assuming it's like drinking Gatorade?
Relay races continue...
See the runner to the far left (his name is Isaac) ? He does not have a baton in his hand...and therefore disqualified his team :(
Here he is arguing his case...
Cute!
We are all assembled under the tents in anticipation of lunch being served - yes! This is the group to my right...
...and to my left.See the one white face? That's Bethany. She and her friend Erin are living here in Kenya for about two years...
...and the children began to dance...
...and dance...
...and dance...
...and dance!


This is Ann Mueni and her mom Mary...

This little girl in the front was amazing!
So was this guy!

We all were so impressed that we gave them a wow! That means we rubbed our hands together (to warm them up), clapped three times and then threw our arms/hands out towards the kids. They 'received' the wow by leaning back with their hands over their hearts...
Paul is the head of our department, Business Development Services (Micro-enterprise) and also the chairman of the planning committee for this day.
American teams here to celebrate with us. We love the people who come from the states to help in all areas of our ministry!
Mary Kamau, our director, takes a moment to thank the staff, their spouses and their kids for their commitment to serve the Kingdom of God.
Then Keith Ham (and he truly IS a ham as you will see a bit later in this entry!) says a few words to us...
Mary, Mueni and Me!
Chairman of our ministry, Oliver Konje, says a few words of encouragement to us and thanks to the American teams visiting with us.
Mary is preparing for the awards to be given to outstanding employees. Certificates and gifts were given to recognize the attributes of; Leadership, Diligence, Commitment and Excellence.
The first award was given to our very own Virginia (a Loan Officer with BDS) for Excellence. She arrived too late to receive her award because she was busy with some of our clients who are struggling. So Esther went forward on Virginia's behalf to receive her certificate.
Each employee being honored was greeted by Oliver Konje, Keith Ham and three of our visitors who are leaders of their groups.
This is Lillian who runs our clinic which helps to keep our staff and children healthy.
And John Mathenge, driver extraordinaire and the first employee of MoHI!
Mary, social worker, is the one who took Kathryn and me on a tour of one of the villages in the Mathare slum where we serve.
Edinah is head of Christian Education and just happens to be married to Oliver Konje!
...and there is Isaac (the one who didn't carry the baton in the relay race!) and one of the first people I met when I started working at MoHI...he actually offered to help me move way back then when he barely knew me...wow!
Anisia (one of the few people I have met who is shorter than me!) is head teacher at our boarding school. She is the one who took my mom and me on a tour of the school last year.
Then Esther received an award for Leadership in recognition of all our department has achieved since she came on board.
She looks very happy :)
Robert, a member of the CHE (Community Health Evangelism) department prays for our lunch - oh boy!
The visitors were allowed to queue up first...makes sense to me :)
...then the rest of us waited...and waited...
...and waited! It took over two hours to serve 500 of us...I guess they didn't realize that having two tables of food would have moved things along faster...oh well! The food was good and worth waiting for...
Then it was time to cut the cake...Edinah was in charge of this portion of the program...
...she called for reinforcements; Mary, Keith and the three Americans (sorry, I only know Martha's name - to the far right) did a bang up job!
Then Keith started the frivolity as he fed the first piece to visiting pastor...the convention is to serve (respectfully!) honored guests...
...but this became a bit of a free-for-all...
Notice Mary seems to be backing away? What I did not get on film was Martha chasing Mary with a piece of cake - it was hilarious! I think they finally called a truce and Mary allowed Martha to feed her...respectfully!
Then the dance frenzy started! MoHI employees grabbed members of the teams and pulled them to the 'dance floor'...it was such fun!
Then of course, the line dance...


Then the highlight of the day - the Catwalk! Keith in his unique way set the tone as the first contestant - actually his performance was for entertainment, not for the competition...
...he was hilarious as he struck so many poses...with a straight face...
Then Lynn from Social Work started the real competition...she gets my vote - I think she's beautiful...and classy!
Robert from CHE was MC for this event...
Judges down front took their jobs very seriously...the Mzungu (second from the left) is Erin.


Who are they watching so attentively?
Aaaahhh...hmmm - I don't blame them!
The guys did a great job...
"Traffic Jam!"...that's what we heard in between contestants and then this guy came sauntering past with his load of firewood.
These kids are getting an eyeful!


While the judges were deliberating, several couples showed off their African dress...
I caught these two on film...
The day was great! Of course I left about an hour past my self-imposed deadline.

As I waited and waited for a vehicle, all the while praying "Father, please bring me a vehicle" (I guess during December so many people travel 'home' for Christmas that the vehicles are few) a car pulled over and a woman's voice said "do you need a lift?" - it was the couple who runs Teen Challenge right next door to where I live! I jumped at the opportunity to get a 'free' ride and get to know these fascinating people a bit better...what an awesome answer to prayer!

No comments: