"Whom shall I send, and who will go for Us?" Then I said, "Here am I! Send me."
Isaiah 6:8

Saturday, June 11, 2011

Ooloserian Celebration

Ooloserian is the name of a Maasai community. Starfish Charities is a ministry founded by my friend Rhonda Baxter to fulfill a God-given vision to minister to the Maasai people in Kenya. I am honored to be on the board of this awesome ministry. A powerful program of Starfish is literacy training - for women, men and pastors.

On the 11th of June we celebrated the completion of our first literacy class of 2011!

In Kenya, it's not a celebration without a cake. My dear neighbor Lilian made the cake for today's graduation. Isn't it beautiful?
Lilian and Denise taping the box together so that we can carry the cake safely.
After taking a taxi to Rhonda's house, gathering gifts for the ladies and putting the Starfish seal on the certificates Pastor Paul (Chairman of the Starfish Board) drove us to the AIC Ooloserian Church.
My heart warmed as I saw the ladies assembled at the kitchen...already there eager to begin this special day.
Inside the church we saw, proudly displayed, a sample of work for each of the 11 ladies that completed the 4 month course.
Also displayed is this touching letter to Starfish Charities showing abundant appreciation for the opportunity to learn to read and write.
Magdaline is a cousin to Jeremy. Jeremy is a Maasai who is on the board of Starfish. Her mother is a sister to his father.
Pastor Richard, who was also the teacher of this class, me and Magdaline.
The ladies in this community always where these orange lesos whenever there is a community event. I like that! Here they are making tea and a meal for today's event.
I love this Maasai ritual...the children approach adults with their heads bowed. This is a show of respect and when the adult touches the head as you see here, it is a blessing for the child.
I loved the way the children were all dressed up to honor their mamas' special day.
Here they are! The diligent ladies, who made many sacrifices to complete this course. In their laps are the folders of materials provided by Starfish.

The day started with songs of praise, Maasai style! Their praises always bring a smile to my face.
Pastor Richard encouraged us from the Word of God in Acts 24:16, while Jeremy translated into the Maasai language. "I myself always strive to have a conscience without offense toward God and men." Acts 24:16 (NKJV)
James (also on the Starfish board) with two very handsome boys.
Hellen, the spokesperson for the group shares her/their appreciation for this amazing opportunity. Her face lit up as she said "I can open the Bible anywhere and read God's word" She says "Now all of the Bible is open to me and I can write my name"...that seems so small, yet to these ladies it is like starting a whole new life.
She talked of the hardships, shared by all the ladies, of leaving home at 6am to fetch water, to return home at noon and fix a quick meal for the children to be able to make it to class on time. She also spoke for the whole class when she thanked teacher Richard for his patience when they would arrive late, when they would ask too many questions, when they would struggle with their lessons. It was clear that the class all agreed that he practiced what he preached to us earlier from Acts.
Teacher Richard then asked questions in Swahili for the class to answer, in order to show all the guests just how much they have learned. I was impressed to see many hands raised after each question.
How many chapters in the book of Genesis? "There are fifty" was the answer proudly declared.
How many chapters in the book of Exodus. "There are forty"...we were indeed impressed!
One of the many challenges for these ladies is caring for their children who are not yet in school - I am certain they carried them to class each day, just as they were carried to this celebration.
Then came time for the members of the Starfish board to introduce ourselves. This is Pastor Paul Ochilo, Chairman.
I introduced myself, but also took a few moments to give greetings from Rhonda who is in the states undergoing treatment for cancer and could not join us this day. At the mention of her name all the ladies smiled and 'received' her greetings...by crossing their arms over their hearts.
James, also a board member. He shot lots of video footage of the day.
Then Pastor Paul encouraged the ladies from Joshua 1:8 "This Book of the Law shall not depart from your mouth, but you shall meditate in it day and night, that you may observe to do according to all that is written in it." NKJV
In this way Paul encouraged the ladies to continue to read their Bibles and reminded them, and all of us, that as they read the word of God and search the scriptures they/we cannot be lead astray by those preaching false doctrine.
Also stated in the scripture is that "you will have good success" by reading and following the tenets as set forth in God's word. Here Paul is encouraging the ladies to continue a steadfast walk with the Lord and to receive the abundant blessings He has in store for them.
Family and friends from the community here to help celebrate.
I took a few moments to commend the ladies for their diligence and perseverance in completing the course. I reminded them that it was only in God's strength that they were able to accomplish their goal and that they are different today than when they first started the journey just a few short months ago.
Then it was time to hand out certificates showing their accomplishment. Here Jeremy is letting them know that this is an important document and that they need to take special care to keep it safe.
This is Magdaline Maseker (I love the beadwork on Pastor Richard)
Hellen Parsapayet
Rohda Joseph
Joyce Nina
Luncy Ilanet
Josiphine Sammy
Agnes Simon
Maria Kurraru
Joyce Muntet
Damaris Kaikat
Elizabeth MeleThe whole graduating class, with their certificates! In the back is Pastor/Teacher Richard, Pastor Paul, me, and Jeremy. Denise was kind enough to snap the photo.
Pastor Paul is thanking Pastor Richard on behalf of Starfish Charities.
Starfish presented the Pastor/Teacher with a slimline Bible and a solar powered audio recording of Charles Stanley sermons.
The ladies were encouraged to open their gift bags.
One of the items in their bags was a hygiene kit, consisting of various toiletry items, in a zip lock bag.
Here the ladies are modeling their new lesos - the other item in the gift bags.
Hellen presents gifts to the team...
Here is Hellen putting my necklace on for me...I am holding my hair up, out of her way.
Posing with Hellen with my new necklace :)
Cake time! This was a 4kg cake - easily enough for 40 people...and I'm thinking we maybe had 20 or 25 including the kids...
Pastor Richard received the first piece.
Then he asked for several pieces on a plate...
...so that he could serve the ladies...
...see all the smiles?
Then Jeremy got a plate full...
...to serve the kids...
...sweet!
The ladies enjoying cake and chai.
James saw that these two little ones did not have cake, so he served them. I love that the men served cake to all the students and guests :)
One of the mamas came to retrieve the final pieces...I think this was a real treat for the community.
Time to hand out the final exam sheets...notice the cake is ALL gone! except for the crumbs.
We saw many 100%'s and other excellent marks.

Agnes, Magdaline and Naomi (Agnes' daughter) looking over their papers.
The proudly showed us their final exams.

To the right is Johnson, the Chairman of the Church examining papers (perhaps that is his wife?)
This mama is asking Denise about an item in her hygiene kit - hair conditioner! I could tell Denise was not sure what to say since this Maasai lady has VERY short hair and many of their heads are clean shaven! She said it would make their heads soft...
Another question - this time about dental floss...see the piece between Denise's hands?
Dental floss demonstration :) Can you see Naomi's face eagerly peeking around to see?
This mama found a cute little orange flower hair thingy in her bag...
Looking at the items in various hygiene bags...
It seems Naomi is proud of her mama's work...I'll bet she is a good student in school!
Time for washing hands before eating...
Yum! Good food...meat (probably goat), potatoes and chapati.
James enjoying lunch.
Appreciating the class work on display...Not sure what they are doing, but I thought this picture was precious.
The man in the background is a friend and former class mate to Jeremy and the man in the foreground is Johnson, Chairman of the church.
The ladies enjoying lunch.
At the beginning of every literacy class the students pay a registration fee of 150 shillings (less than $2). At the celebration we always present the money back to the church for use of the facility. Here I am thanking Johnson, Chairman of the church for his gracious hospitality over the past few months. He also thanked Starfish for our contribution to the community and also let me know that the students had kept very good care of the church while using it as a classroom....
We saw the two little girls dressed just alike and this friend of Jeremy's proudly told us they belong to him. I decided to take a photo and asked for the mama to join in...to which he replied "I have two wives!" so here is the family photo. The wife on the right is Damaris, one of our students.
Leaving the church...yikes that's a skinny dog...I think she is pregnant.
Then we dropped Jeremy and James at the Starfish property where the ladies were doing their washing. I shot these two little girls doing their washing as well :)
What a great day we had! Celebrating success with 11 Maasai women, praising our Lord with our brothers and sisters in Christ and enjoying good fellowship.

No comments: