"Whom shall I send, and who will go for Us?" Then I said, "Here am I! Send me."
Isaiah 6:8

Wednesday, April 20, 2011

Home Visit

Each month the staff where I work visits someone's home. The month of March was my turn!
I chose March because my mom would be here and I knew she would love getting to know my work friends away from the office.
We moved furniture, borrowed chairs from my landlady and made room for the 15+ people who would squeeze into my 600 square foot home!
On the couch are; Anne Mueni, Mary (Anne's mom), Virginia and Esther...and to the right is my mom in her new African dress, which Mary made for her!
The rest of the group; Francis, Abraham, Boniface, Francisca and Priscilla...well, almost the rest. Not in the picture is Peter and also Paul, who was not able to come with the rest of the group.
Tea and biscuits all set up just waiting for them to partake!

Francis - ever the host, is helping Peter (not pictured above!) to the rest of the biscuits. It seems it does not matter how much food is set out, they will finish it!


Mueni is my friend so I just HAD to have a photo with her!


Mom and Peter messin' around :)
Proof that I did make tea! and that it boiled over a few times :)
Looks like Mueni has made a new friend :)
The guys were having fun together...
Girl talk!
Mueni :)
And lunch is served!
There were sandwiches (which are a novelty to all and some had never had before!), chips, stuffed olives, pickles and fruit.
Hmmm...what to choose...Mueni is smiling on the inside, I just know it!
I was impressed that they all tried a bit of everything...




And mom, the perfect hostess, serving juice...

They are not too sure, but willing to at least taste each item! and even smile...
This time it's Peter who is serving...later he told me that he was praying for Francis - NOT!
Priscilla refilling juice glasses - I loved that they all felt comfortable enough to jump in and help.
Esther making sure that all the sandwiches were eaten.
The guys enjoying the day - I loved listening to the buzz of several conversations going on at one time...
Eating apples, which for them, is like our dessert...
But - every authentic American meal has to end with Ice Cream!
I believe they enjoyed it, but all agreed it was too cold!
I suggested they stir it up and then eat...
Mom in her 'hostess' seat near the door to the kitchen...



Peter goofing around...stationed himself next to the chips so he could partake more easily.

Then decided to make friends with the puppy by feeding him chips!
Virginia and Francis preparing to present gifts to my mom and me...
Peter enjoying his budding relationship...
They brought food; here Virginia is explaining how to prepare arrowroot, a delicacy here.
Abraham is presenting this gift to my mom...
...who is happy to receive it and managed to fit it into her luggage!
For me they bought this stool...
...which seemed toooooo small for me :)
So I convinced Mueni to demonstrate for me!
And they gave me this beautiful bowl...
...complete with a stand!

Francis and Francisca help Abraham find a verse for the word of encouragement he wants to share with the group.
...while Peter hugs the puppy...
We ended the wonderful day holding hands as we prayed...
That same evening Paul, who used to work in our department, brought his lovely fiance Lucy to visit.
We had a delightful evening...
...posing for pictures......and later we picked up food from a local restaurant.
It was wonderful to spend a relaxing day with my friends from work and especially to meet Lucy and hear their story. The following weekend we spent Sunday with them and are both excited about their upcoming wedding.

No comments: