Below is a sign on the wall - their vision statement for 2011;
"Whom shall I send, and who will go for Us?" Then I said, "Here am I! Send me."
Isaiah 6:8
Isaiah 6:8
Friday, April 29, 2011
The Ordinations
Mom and I were privileged to attend the ordination/promotion of my co-worker Mary from elder to pastor and of her husband Isaiah from pastor to reverend.
Below is a sign on the wall - their vision statement for 2011;
We arrived at the end of their morning service. This is Isaiah letting the congregation know that we would take a short break before commencing the ordination ceremonies. He is unusual for a Kenyan in that he is very keen on keeping time...I like that about him!
The steeeeep steps we climbed to get to the church...
We, thankfully, were seated near the doorway...here is the view :) - I say thankfully because sometimes it can become uncomfortably warm, but next to the door there was always a breeze!
Our MC for the day - Bro. Felix Musyoki
Mom and the congregation enjoying the music
The choir...you can just feel the music, can't you?
This lady is one of the teachers at Missions of Hope where Mary and I work.
There were several presentations given...
...and several little kids :)
Pastor Isaiah just could NOT contain himself!
And of course the mic was handed to me and then to Mom to say a few words...
Several visiting pastors were recognized and given the floor for a few minutes each.
A word of encouragement was given by Bishop Joseph Nderitu - here Isaiah is reading from his text in 1Kings.
An interpreter was enlisted just for my mom and me...he was excellent...even switching from English to Swahili and back as the bishop switched...often in mid sentence!
Several times Isaiah was overcome with emotion.
And the bishop was amazingly animated!

Then comes the 'big bishop' as Mom and I dubbed him! This is Bishop Boniface Landi, the officiating Bishop...we enjoyed him almost as much as the 'little bishop'!
My favorite thing that he said was that some day Isaiah would surpass him...he truly 'disciples' others to be all that God purposes them to be.
I love this look - it says to me; respect, attention, intent
This is Mary, being Mary :)
Here the bishop is charging the congregation with supporting their pastor...that he should be filling out that suit coat...Isaiah is demostrating just how much room there is :)
A winning smile...
...the anointing oil!
Isaiah and Mary are kneeling on some cushions, being anointed with oil and prayed over by both bishops and many others...and of course it is all being captured on video!

I LOVE this photo...now that's a hug!
Now presenting Reverend Isaiah and Pastor Mary...notice the collars?
This photo is to show the 'kneeling' cushions...there were others being promoted this day, some from other churches.
The cake is always a part of any celebration. First Isaiah and Mary served each other, then their kids (notice Mary's mouth)
Ann Mueni looks quite satisfied :)
Then the big bishop (sans robe!)
...and the little bishop (with wife Elizabeth next to him)
Then for the special 'international' guests!
It was actually quite good and for me, just enough...too much sugar is not good!
Ah, the food! And it was good...several church members chipped in with different dishes. Mom and I were invited onto the platform to partake, and spent that time chatting with Isaiah and learning what a fine young man he is!
Chapati, rice, goat stew with potatoes - YUM!
The view from the platform...mingling...
...and laughing!
We had SUCH a good time! Afterwards Mary and her kids accompanied us with a church member who is a taxi driver, all the way to my home - I felt so taken care of.
Below is a sign on the wall - their vision statement for 2011;
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)




No comments:
Post a Comment