"Whom shall I send, and who will go for Us?" Then I said, "Here am I! Send me."
Isaiah 6:8

Monday, December 15, 2014

A Beautiful Wedding!

Saturday was a special day...my long-time friend, coaching client and ministry partner got married!  Josephine is one of the first friends I made when I moved to Kenya back in 2008...we have traveled many paths together as I counseled, mentored and coached her - and I am thrilled that God brought her a wonderful man to cherish her for the rest of her life!
Denise, Rose, Wambui (who drove us!) and Susan are the friends I came with to the wedding
I think he is very excited!!
Pastor Maina is the lucky groom...God has favored and blessed him with an amazing woman to spend the rest of his life with! (and he knows it!)
 He is personable, sensitive and outgoing...
 The MC for the day greeting Maina as he makes his way to the wedding tent...
 Beautiful bridesmaids and flower girl...
Daughters Makena and Wambui, close friend Maggy
 I love the choice of colors...the dresses are beautiful!
 And the radiant bride!
Behind her is the maid of honor...actually she and her husband are the Best Couple
 Josephine and Maina spent many hours being counseled by this older, wiser couple. 
I love the back of her gown...
 She seems eager to find her groom!
...and he seems very happy to welcome her!
 The wedding party getting assembled...
 The praise and worship was so nice...
Rose and Susan enjoying...
 I managed to get a few shots of Bride and Groom dancing to the music!
 ...separated by a bouquet of flowers...
 ...they seem to be enjoying themselves...happy day!
The worship team
The officiating pastor is Josephine's pastor from the church she has been attending in the Nairobi area for the past two years...
...he delivered an excellent message on renewal - both Josephine and Maina lost their first spouses; hers to a road accident and his to cancer...
 The pastor's wife is lovely and gracious...
After the wedding Josephine and her girls will move about an hour out of Nairobi to the town where the wedding was...
See Wambui, getting her face wiped clean?
 She is definitely a free spirit...
 
 More praise and worship after the message...
 ...all were uplifted by the message...
Finally - time to exchange vows and become husband and wife!
 
 Radiant smiles!  The Best Couple are just behind them...
 There were plenty of photographers that day!!!
 What you can't see is that he is lifting the veil to be able to see the beautiful face of his bride...
 Time for the rings...
 Daughter Makena has the rings...
 
 
 
 First Josephine lifts her hand as the pastor talks of the significance of the ring...
 ...and Maina places the ring for all to see...
 The he lifts his hand for her to place the ring...
 
 A prayer for the couple...
 Preparing to be introduced as husband and wife...
Sweet embrace
 I see much laughter in their future!
 Ah...now for the kiss!
 
I missed the actual kiss...but here they are right after!
 The looks on their faces say it all!
 Then the parents come forward for a family prayer...
Josephine's parents
Maina's parents
 The family, the pastor and his wife, and the best couple surround Bride and Groom
The couple are seated to sign the wedding certificate
 Joyous celebration!
 Introducing Pastor and Mrs. Maina! 
 Just one more thing...very important!
 The certificate, signed by Bride and Groom, Best Couple and the pastor...
It is given to Josephine, then she put it in Maina's coat pocket
 A sweet family sat in front of us...this is their youngest...they are neighbors to Josephine.
 Time for the unity candle...
 The Best Couple helping...
 Then Maina said a prayer for the marriage...
 Dancing in celebration!!!
 Hey, they look good together...
 Sweet Maggy...
 Photographer moving the arch to set up the photo shoot...
Siblings
 For the photo shoot, different groups are called to pose with the couple...starting with family...
She is getting him to eat grass!
 Eventually they called "Joanna and the Kibera Team"...
Susan, me, Maina, Josephine, Rose, Denise and Wambui
Then they called PNCA - Prayer Network for the Child of Africa.  A long-time dream of Josephine's was fulfilled during our time of coaching - she has an awesome team of ladies to carry the vision.
Pumwani is a maternity hospital near Josephine's home.  She and her friend Grace (next to her) have been ministering together to the young mothers (many of them single) for over a year...
Then the MoHI staff was called...Missions of Hope International is where both Josephine and I worked when we met.  We have both left, but still have friends there...
Founder/Director Mary Kamau embracing Josephine
Many from MoHI attended the wedding!
 And then there was lunch...YES!
Yum, the food was good!
 Chillaxin' in the shade...
I met Isaac and Fred at Missions of Hope...Isaac is still there, but Fred left a few years ago...it was good to re-connect!
 Then there was dancing!  Susan and I were 'partners'...
Bride and Groom with Best Couple
 I love this shot of Rose...she is definitely having a good time!
 ...and there I am again...looking goofy but what the heck!
The wedding cake table...
 These ladies are formally receiving Josephine into her new church...where Maina is the lead pastor.
 Receiving gifts...in Josephine's hand is the gift Susan brought from the Kibera Bible Study ladies...
 ...Maina posed for this shot as Josephine received the gift Denise and I brought...
The girl on the right in this picture grabbed my hand earlier when I joined the crowd heading out to greet the couple after their 'offsite' photo shoot...
Precious!
Putting their name on the present before they 'present' it to the couple!
 I LOVE LOVE LOVE this shot!
 Bringing his wife to cut the cake...
 Each item on the table has significance for their married life and home together...
Josephine is saying a blessing over the cutting of the cake...signifying that the kitchen belongs to her - even though Maina is welcome in it, she presides over it and receives guests with hospitality
 ...and they cut the cake together...showing their unity
 Then he tries to open the bubbling cider...with his new daughter Makena watching dubiously...
 ...she laughs with him as he works with the stubborn bottle!
 Success!!
 Then little pre-wrapped pieces of cake were handed out...it was quite good!
What a blessing the day was!

1 comment:

Twyla said...

I'm so happy for her! wow do I love her gown and the bridesmaids' dresses & colors!